Banadir Regional Administration
Somalia Education for Human Capital Development Project
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST (REOI)
COUNTRY: Federal Republic of Somalia (FRS)
NAME OF PROJECT: Somalia Education for Human Capital Development Project
PROJECT ID: P172434
Grant No.: IDA-D8370
Assignment Title: Procurement Officer
Reference No.: SO-MOECHE-299697-CS-INDV
Place of assignment: Mogadishu Banadir Somalia
Submission deadline: 30th April 2023
The Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) and Federal Member States (FMS) through the Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education has applied for financing from the World Bank towards the cost of Somalia Education for Human Capital Development Project. The project is designed to provide interventions to improve system effectiveness, instructional quality, and learning outcomes across all Federal Member States.
The Project consists of the following four key components: (1) System Building – This component will focus on strengthening systems at the FGS and the FMS levels to implement Somalia Education Sector Strategic Plan (ESSP); (2) Expansion of access to quality schooling for the disadvantaged – This component will help Somalia roll out practical and economical ways to begin to redress the < 20% enrollment rate challenge faced by most districts in Somalia, among the world indicators; (3) Enhanced instruction quality – This component will develop a 2-year Teacher Professional Development Program (TPDP) that will be delivered using a blended learning approach and support 6,000 teachers to complete the program. Activities will include the design, development, testing, refinement, and large-scale implementation of the TPDP; and (4) Project Management – Current capacity at all administrative levels, FGS, FMS levels, regional and district levels is weak. The project will Procurement key project staff at the FGS and FMS levels and consulting services to support the FGS to oversee school construction design, engineering, and supervision and capacity building to support FGS contract management.
The Banadir Regional Administration intends to hire a Procurement Officer to work closely with project implementation unit.
- Scope of Work and Responsibilities:
The Procurement Officer will carry out the procurement activities of the project at FMS Level
Under the leadership of the Banadir PIU Coordinator and guidance from the procurement specialist, the duties of the Procurement Officer will include:
- Support the development of the PIU Procurement Plan.
- Support development of PMU procurement plan in alignment with PIU procurement plan which are inclusive of activities, scheduled dates, selection methods, etc., update and revise plans over time
- Help facilitate procurement including works, consulting and non-consulting services, supplies, equipment, vehicles, etc.
- Ensure that complete documentation is maintained on all procurement cases and coordinate and respond to procurement queries, disputes, and complaints.
- Verify that procurement requests are in accordance with the approved procurement plan.
- Lead the bidding and selection processing, including organizing pre-bid or pre-proposal meetings, providing clarifications, coordinating the Receipt of bids/proposals, leading and participating in the opening of bids/proposals/ expressions of interest.
- In close consultation with User Departments, participate in Evaluation of Expression of Interest, Quotations, Bids and Proposals.
- Coordinate/make arrangements and participate in contract negotiations for consultancy services and technical discussions for works where applicable to provide technical guidance.
- Prepare Procurement progress reports at a minimum on monthly basis, highlighting among others the progress on processing various contracts, constraints met and any other issues that require management attention.
- Maintain complete procurement files and records including all correspondence related to procurement activities.
- In addition to SEHCD project the procurement officer will be responsible for implementing procurement activities under the SOMALIA EMPOWERING WOMEN THROUGH EDUCATION AND SKILLS PROJECT – “RAJO KAABA” project.
- Carry out any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Skills and Qualifications
- Selection Criteria:
Selection will be based on qualification and experience of the candidate and followed by an interview. The minimum qualification, experience and skills should include:
- Bachelor’s degree in Procurement, Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Statistics, Engineering or equivalent. A master’s degree or professional qualifications (final examination of Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply or equivalent) will be an added advantage.
- A minimum of at least 4 years of direct relevant experience including broad expertise in the management of procurement in the public sector or private sector.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in implementing procurement actions according to international organizations guidelines such as World Bank, African Development Bank, the United Nations etc. for procurement of goods, works and services.
- Excellent computer skills for Microsoft Office tools (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and Internet use.
- Experience of working in similar environment like that of Somalia.
- Excellent interpersonal communication, and presentation skills; and
- Proficiency in written and spoken English is required.
- Proficiency in written and spoken Somali is an added advantage.
- Duration & Duty Station: Twelve (12) months with possibility for extension based on performance and requirement. The duty station is Mogadishu Banadir Somalia.
- The Banadir Regional Administration now invites eligible candidates to indicate their interest in providing these services. Interested candidates must submit the following: (i) Curriculum Vitae (CV) in MS-Word format with 3 reference persons; (ii) copies of certificates of academic qualifications; and (iii) cover letter indicating that they are qualified to perform the services.
The detailed Terms of Reference (TOR) can be found at the following website: www.moe.gov.so or it can be forwarded to the applicant upon submission of application to the address indicated below.
- The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraphs 3.14 and 3.21 of the World Bank’s Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers: Procurement in Investment Financing Goods, Works, Non-Consulting and Consulting Services dated July 2016 and current edition (“Procurement Regulations”) setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest and eligibility.
- A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultants selection method set out in the “Procurement Regulations”.
How to apply
Interested Candidates may obtain further information at the address given below from 8:30 to 3.30pm EA time (Excluding public holidays).
The Expressions of interest (EOI), CV with 3 reference persons and certificates of academic qualifications must be delivered by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org Cc: email@example.com Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 30th April 2023 at 12:00 Hours (EA Time) – marked clearly as “Procurement Officer – Banadir – Education for Human Capital Development Project”.
NB: Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Human Capital Development Project Unit (HCDPU)
Ministry of Education, Culture and Higher Education
Banadir – Mogadishu